Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Surviving my first sick day

It's going around so get your flu shot!!!!

Last Thursday I woke up with a sore throat and thought this is no bueno!!! I took some medicine Thursday and Friday and thought lots of water and mucinex or dayquil and I will be good to go on Monday! That was not the case....

Monday morning I woke up to get in the shower and couldn't make it from the bed to the bathroom without feeling like I was going to pass out. I was pouring sweat. It had felt as if I had run circles around the house in the July heat. There was no way I was going to be able to make it to school.

I panicked! I didn't know any substitutes and didn't have any sub plans prepared. I went online to the substitute website through Orange County to request a sub. Not more than 10 minutes had passed before someone picked it up. I was relieved.

Now I just had to get a hold of the teacher next door to me and my department head to make sure the sub got my plans. Thankfully they got the plans to him and then I went back to bed! 

I had high hopes for my students behavior, but this was a very much unplanned absence. My expectations were for them to behave as if I was there and to do the work they were asked to do. I also expected them to not cause any problems....well.....that didn't so much happen. Of the 6 classes I have, 2 of them behaved and did their work. I was very pleased with them, but for the rest of them I was disappointed. When I returned on Tuesday,  I made sure that they clearly understood what I expected if I ever had to be out and let them know that I will not tolerate bad behavior.

Hopefully this Thursday and Friday will be better while I am at a workshop for FCAT writing. This upcoming week is Homecoming. I will share the adventures at the end of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment